How to Make Carrot “Pasta”
1. Get a medium/ large carrot, cut the ends off, and peel off the outer layer. Then, peel long strips off until you reach the center (I personally dislike the inside of a carrot. I don’t know why… I don’t use that part lol)
2. Make the thicker strips thinner by slicing them lengthwise. This step is completely optional, but I like it do it! Now you have your finished “noodles”!
3. Put them into a frying pan with some olive oil (or avocado oil), salt, and pepper. Cook them for a couple minutes, pushing them around on the pan until they are soft
4. Add however much sauce you want to the pan. Stir the carrots and sauce together to warm it up. I used tomato sauce with onions :)
5. Enjoy! This is so good, even if the pictures don’t do it justice.
I’ve tried squash pasta before, but it was really difficult to make the strands. I’ve gotta try this!!
Can you make lasagna without pasta? Why yes, you can. I didn’t even miss the pasta! Zucchini and squash are officially the best substitutions for pasta.
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 large squashes
- 1 cup no salt added tomato sauce (I used Sprouts Tomato Sauce)
- 2/3 cup tofu, diced
- 9 large spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese (fat free would be better)
- 1/3 cup Soysation cheese shreds
- salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Wash the zucchini, squash, spinach leaves, and tofu.
- Cut the ends off the zucchinis and squashes.
- Using a mandoline, create slices of zucchini and squash.
- In a food processor, puree the tofu and spinach leaves. Add in some salt and pepper.
- Use the olive oil spray to coat the bottom of a dish.
- Lay the ingredients in the following order: zucchini, tomato sauce, squash, ricotta, zucchini, tofu mixture, squash, ricotta, tomato sauce, and cheese shreds.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. In the last five minutes, top the lasagna with more cheese shreds.
- Let the lasagna cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Clean Eating Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup Oats
- 3 Egg whites
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Plain greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar (or 2 tsp. vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Hot water
- 1/2 cup Baking stevia OR 1 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar 1
- 1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Tip- Foil cupcake liners, remove the inner paper lining (because paper liners tend to stick to muffins!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
- Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
- Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.*Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!
- Cool muffins before removing from pan. ENJOY!!!***This amazing recipe and more can be found HERE at Dashing Dish